Check out behind the scenes of Stil. Magazine’s shoot with Breedlove – shot in Brooklyn NYC!
Grab a copy of Stil. to read the full interview and check out the whole shoot.
Put simply, he is one of the best fashion photographers to have ever emerged out of the Southern Hemisphere. His extraordinary portraits of both men and women have withstood the test of time. With an endless list of international titles to his resume, we can’t wait to reveal the beautiful pictures he’s graced our pages with for Issue #2 of Stil. Magazine. Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. David K Shields…
- Stil) How did you get into photography?
- DKS: I ended up being told by my best friend Della, that I had to start taking photos – I think it was the 4th time that week I’d come back to our apartment in Milano, having found another “street casting” that we (had to) take pics of… she thought it was in both of our best interests… my creative needs, and her personal time! Luckily it all fell into place really quickly, and I haven’t looked back…
- Stil) What magazines have you worked with?
- DKS: I have been travelling the world for the past 15 years, the last 10 of which have been devoted to the pursuit of the best image. I’ve worked for many of the top magazines worldwide, including Vogue Homme International (fr and jp), French Vogue, Crash, Blast (all France)..Dazed and Confused (UK and Oz), Japanese GQ and Commons & Sense (Jap),German GQ and GQ Style, Italian Marie Claire, Oyster, and many other Boutique mags in Various countries, as well as successfully adapting that freedom to shoot “my images” to the advertising market.
- Stil) Favourite fashion moment in your career?
- DKS: There really have been SO many that is impossible to give one alone, but I think it best to say that the friends I’ve found throughout my journey, have been the catalyst to most.
- Stil) Who or what is inspiring you?
- DKS: I’m inspired also by many things – People I seeing doing what they do, because they love it for what it is… beauty in spirit, character and life.
- Stil) Tell us something about yourself that would surprise most people…
- DKS: I’m really shy, and speak a lot to hide this! ha ha ha… Really, am not sure if that’s totally true, but I am a fairly open book and there’s not many places I can “hide” easily ;-) haha Click here to visit the David K Shield website!
Here’s an excerpt from our Gracie Otto Cover Feature:
“The one time I remember dad coming to school was when I was doing a piece by Steven Berkhoff called East. I played this girl called Sylv from east end London who talks a lot about being a ‘fellah’ and has sex with lots of different people. I wanted to perform this amazing monologue in which the character climaxes on stage. My teacher said there was no way in hell I was doing it and next thing you know Dad is stomping down the corridors to the head of the drama department. “My daughter is doing this piece!” I remember I would be rehearsing with him at home and he’d be showing me how to orgasm on stage. I was worried if the neighbours were watching as I knew they would be really freaked out…”
To read the rest of the interview purchase your own copy of the debut issue of STIL. magazine…